Most F1 students are eligible to be employed for 12 months in their field of study for “Optional Practical Training.” To apply for this type of training, a student does not need to have a specific position.
REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT INCLUDE:
- Job must be directly related to the student’s field of study.
- Job may take place anywhere in the U.S.
- Job must be appropriate for the student’s level of education.
- Student must have had student status for at least nine months prior to employment.
It’s the student’s responsibility to apply for employment authorization before starting to work. There are two steps students need to go through to receive work authorization:
- Recommendation from Foreign Student Advisor.
- Authorization from Immigration Services.